I never really had much of a problem with Mariah who is five. She would test her limits as any child. Then she started kindergarten. It take me five times to get her to do something and get a attitude along with it. Olivia who is two and a half has always been my little rebel. She is very strong willed and want's it her way. She will through tantrums in public and at home. A typical two year old behavior with her need of independence. When trying time-outs and taking things way from them. It still wasn't affective for them. I believe this is when I would yell to try and get their attention. All this has accomplished is them yelling to try and get what they want in return.
This is when I knew I had to do some research and find other way's to try and help us. I came across some really good websites with helpful advice. First off I found this solution.
Think in terms of teaching your kids to listen instead of punishing them for ignoring you. I suggest parents teach their kids to listen using the A, B, C and D's.
A. Ask in a no-kidding-around tone of voice
B. Be clear and specific
C. Communicate your request in six words or less
D. Don't make not listening an option
B. Be clear and specific
C. Communicate your request in six words or less
D. Don't make not listening an option
Read More http://www.ivillage.com/discipline-makeover-getting-your-child-listen/6-a-128351#ixzz1ZAr7lQbo
I then found a princess sticker chart for the girls. Each day before bed if they have been good all day they will get a sticker to put on their princess chart. When it's all filled they will get a small treat. It's something to reward the good behavior.
With a few day's of positive attitude and faith that my two adorable daughter's will change their behavior around. It has helped. We work toward's our sticker chart with no yelling and following the rules the first time it was told. I just know they way children are today, I have to start early on what is the wrong and right way to act. They also are learning to use more manner's. I started to feel like I had been failing as a parent and was really upset about all of this. I turned to my prayer's and knew that putting more time and effort on helping them make better decisions everything will all work out! Looking forward to seeing where we are in a month. I will keep you posted.

Way to go Mama! I found real issues with Brianna when she started K too! Actually, it probably started more in preschool but got worse in K. We had a particularly bad morning today (having to tell her a million times to do things like get on her shoes) to the point where she ran out of time to brush her teeth before the bus got here! UGH! Looks like I need to do some research too! But I like the ABCD's...very cool!
ReplyDeleteVery cool idea..Emily is pushing back and is a very strong willed one like your Olivia and I too at times feel I have failed. I think I am going to try your method once I am healed. Thanks for the suggestion. Best of luck.
ReplyDeleteI am glad I am not the only Mom going through this. The sticker chart is really working so far. The are responding well with this. We have all talked about good and bad behavior and prayed about it. It is really neat to hear the girls ask for God for help!
ReplyDelete